For in the gospel a righteousness from God is revealed, a righteousness that is by faith from first to last, just as it is written: “The righteous will live by faith.” Romans 1:17

Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Okay here goes...

Ask anyone who knows me well, and they will tell you that they are surprised I've decided to blog. Frankly, I'm horrible at writing notes, keeping a journal, etc. etc., but I really do believe God is leading me to write on a regular basis and this seems to be a great way to start. I will say that if this blog continues with consistency for a long period of time you can know that it is a GOD thing. Why? Because Kristin Hightower, in her own power cannot and will not see it through. So, to God be the glory---already!!

So, here goes...

By now you've noticed the title of this blog, "It All Boils Down to Faith." My husband has been hearing me spout off this phrase several times the last few years. It is a phrase that has come to my mind over and over again as I have studied the Bible and heard various sermons on faith. Very recently I have come to the realization that when you peel the layers back one by one, what is at the center of every Christian (or even non-Christian for that matter) is what he/she believes.

We all have faith in something or someone. Some believe in God, but don't believe He loves us or is capable of being in relationship with us. Others believe there is no God. Many profess to believe in Christ, but that is where it stops. And there are still others who not only believe in Jesus, but trust Him with every moment of every day and live only to know Him more. Many of us believe IN God, but, as Beth Moore puts it, don't believe God. We believe He exists, but don't really believe that he loves us with an unfailing love. We believe some of His words, but not all of them. We believe some of His characteristics, but not others.

What I have come to believe (yes, BELIEVE!) is that every action, reaction, behavior, choice, and emotion we experience is a RESULT of what we truly believe. These are only the surface--the tip of the iceberg if you will. I have begun to look at all of my actions and choices through the filter of faith. I have begun to ask questions like: Why did I make this decision? When this circumstance arose, why did I respond this way? Often, it isn't the circumstances that are the problem, it is how we respond to the circumstances, and what we do is a reflection of our core beliefs.

I'm not exactly sure how this blog is going to be organized. For now, I plan to share some of the truths God has taught me about my own faith struggles. My hope is that it will be an encouragement to at least one person out there. There is so much truth that can be discovered in God's Word. This is THE Truth that, if we believe it, will radically change the way we live--RADICALLY.

Finally, please pray for me in this endeavor. Busyness and fatigue will be the primary tools the enemy will use to keep me from writing. These are the two things that keep me from my daily quiet time with God. Pray that I persevere and daily rely on God's strength and wisdom. Even if I don't post everyday, I plan to post fairly consistently. I'm sure there will be spurts of inspiration some days and other days that need silence. I'm totally stepping out on faith for this...

I'm excited to see what God is going to do in the coming months.

For now, my daily prayer is "Lord, help me overcome my unbelief." Mark 9:24

In Him,
Kristin

5 comments:

  1. Cool Kristin! :) I've been thinking a lot about faith lately. I've chatted some with an acquaintance of mine who is an atheist and very, very against faith of any kind. It's kind of weird to me. You make a good point though, we all have faith in SOMETHING. She may not have faith in God, but there is SOMETHING she has some kind of faith in. I would guess.

    I'll be praying for you.

    This is Ashley Weber, from T-wood, by the way (in case you can't guess from the picture). :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Ashley! I will need all the prayer I can get!! When will you be at TBC next?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmm...probably a week from this Sunday. I'll be home on Spring Break. :P

    After that...no clue. This summer, for a couple Sundays perhaps. But, I'll be in College Station most of the time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looking forward to it. I've missed you.

    ReplyDelete