For in the gospel a righteousness from God is revealed, a righteousness that is by faith from first to last, just as it is written: “The righteous will live by faith.” Romans 1:17

Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Do I Believe the Creator of the Universe Loves Me?

 As I think about my actions and re-actions to that second devastating miscarriage I had in 2002, I know that one of the faith struggles I had was with the truth that God loves me and that He is good.
He has taught me so much and shown me so much of his character over the past 8 years and as of now,
I can say that I truly believe that God loves me and that He is good.  But, again, I really struggled with this during my "crisis of belief."

I often ask myself, "If I were to lose Allen or if one of my girls contracted a terminal cancer, would I still believe this?"  I have to say that this is the fear I struggle with today.  Just in the past two months, I have heard about multiple cases of infant and childhood cancer.  I have to say, it frightened me!  I have really been praying that God would set me free from this fear---just like he has with so many other fears.  I know that when I am fearing, I am doubting and if I'm doubting, that means I am not trusting Him!  It means that I am specifically not trusting that He loves me with an unfailing love.

So many times in the last couple of weeks I have been thinking about God as Creator: mainly because I have been talking about it with Caroline.  As we have talked about all the things God created, it struck me time and time again that he made this for US to enjoy AND for His Glory.  Oops, I really should switch that:  He made this for HIS glory and for US to enjoy!  The fact that we are included in this equation should just bring us to our knees in gratefulness.

Does the Creator of the Universe love me?

Tonight, I want to look at Hebrews 11:3, and  then share a link that I hope all who read this will watch in its entirety. 

"By faith we understand that the universe was formed at God's command, so that what is seen was not made out of what was visible."  What an awesome verse!  Looking at the Greek, here is another way to write this verse:  "By faith/trust we understand, see with insight, and reflect on the fact that the universe was put in order, mended together; made complete, prepared, and ordained at God's saying the word.  So that what is seen was not made out of things which were visible."

I have really never doubted the creation account in Genesis.  I have never doubted that this universe was created by God.  I remember sitting in science classes in high school and college and hearing about the big bang theory and studying evolution.  I've watched many "documentaries" on the teaching of evolution vs. creation and frankly, I just don't buy the whole evolution theory.   Instead, I am confident in verses like:

For in the gospel a righteousness from God is revealed, a righteousness that is by faith from first to last, just as it is written: “The righteous will live by faith.” The wrath of God is being revealed from since what may be known about God is plain to them, because God has made it plain to them. For since the creation of the world God’s invisible qualities — his eternal power and divine nature — have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that men are without excuse. "  Romans 1:17-20

The heavens declare the glory of God; the skies proclaim the work of his hands. Day after day they pour forth speech; night after night they display knowledge. There is no speech or language where their voice is not heard. Their voice goes out into all the earth, their words to the ends of the world. In the heavens he has pitched a tent for the sun, which is like a bridegroom coming forth from his pavilion, like a champion rejoicing to run his course. It rises at one end of the heavens and makes its circuit to the other; nothing is hidden from its heat.  Psalm 19:1-6

Is. 44:24 “This is what the LORD says — your Redeemer, who formed you in the womb: I am the LORD, who has made all things, who alone stretched out the heavens, who spread out the earth by myself.

Is. 40:26 Lift your eyes and look to the heavens: Who created all these? He who brings out the starry host one by one, and calls them each by name. Because of his great power and mighty strength, not one of them is missing. 

So, I haven't really struggled with the fact that there is a God and he created the universe.  What I have struggled with at times is this truth:  We can't forget that not only did he create the ENTIRE UNIVERSE, but it was HIS WILL and JOY to create YOU and ME!

Is. 45:18 For this is what the LORD says — he who created the heavens, he is God; he who fashioned and made the earth, he founded it; he did not create it to be empty, but formed it to be inhabited — he says: “I am the LORD, and there is no other."

Is. 43:1 But now, this is what the LORD says — he who created you, O Jacob, he who formed you, O Israel: “Fear not, for I have redeemed you; I have summoned you by name; you are mine.

Psa. 139:13 For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother’s womb.

Rev. 4:11 “You are worthy, our Lord and God, to receive glory and honor and power, for you created all things, and by your will they were created and have their being.”

There are countless other scriptures I could quote, but you get the idea.  Every creature, every flower, every mountain, the ocean, clouds---all of creation---we are supposed to see these things and ponder our God!

I am not going to write anymore tonight, because I really hope that all who read this will watch Louie Giglio's sermon on this awesome God who created the universe AND loves ME!

I'll close with this paragraph from a book called "Crazy Love" by Francis Chan, and then you can just scroll down and click on the link to hear Louie speak.  After you watch this, I have a feeling your reaction will be much like mine when I saw it the first time.  I had some major "on my knees" confession to do.  I had to confess to God that I wasn't believing that He really loves me and I prayed for Him to help me overcome my unbelief!  No matter what your past or your future holds, God loves you and he will work ALL things for the good of those who love Him and are called according to His purpose!

"Have you ever thought about how diverse and creative God is?  He didn't have to make hundreds of different kinds of bananas, but He did.  He didn't have to put 3,000 different species of trees within one square mile in the Amazon jungle, but He did...How about the way plants defy gravity by drawing water upward from the ground to their stems and veins?  Or did you know that spiders produce three kinds of silk?  When they build their webs, they create sixty feet of silk in one hour, simultaneously producing a special oil on their feet that prevents them from sticking to their own web...Coral plants are so sensitive that they can die if the water temperature varies by even one or two degrees.  Did you know that when you get goose bumps, the hair in your folicles is actually helping you stay warmer by trapping body heat?  Or what about the simple fact that plants take in carbon dioxide (which is harmful to you) and produce oxygen (which we need to survive)?  Whatever God's reasons for such diversity, creativity, and sophistication in the universe, on earth, and in our own bodies, the point of it all is His glory...That is why we are called to worship Him.  His art, His handiwork, and His creation all echo the truth that He is glorious."......."The very fact that a holy, eternal, all-knowing, all-powerful, merciful, fair, and just God loves you and me is nothing short of astonishing.  The wildest part is that Jesus doesn't have to love us...He doesn't need me or you.  Yet he wants us, chooses us, and even considers us His inheritance (Eph. 1:18).  The greatest knowledge we can ever have is knowing God treasures us...The Holy Creator sees you as His "glorious inheritance."  Francis Chan

Now, click on this link and watch the 5 segment sermon.  Please, Please, Please watch it!  There is nothing more important that you need to be doing, I promise!  :)

Indescribable by Louie Giglio

No comments:

Post a Comment